After finishing “Tactile Ground” (where I used a few of the pieces from 2018 in the booklet and cover art) I started painting again in March of 2019. Here are a few of the resulting pieces.
Back to the ink bath in late May, I was trying to get a much more concentrated density in the ink washes. Very few surprises or “aha” moments, but some pleasant color variations.
Last year I bought several large sheets of thickly textured handmade paper made from mulberry bark. I need to experiment a lot more with this paper, as it is very absorbent and does not respond very well to these ink dipping techniques. The paper itself has such a lovely physicality and texture that I almost don’t want to mess it up with inks or paint. These are two of several quick tests with it:
What follows next are some examples of pure play. I was trying to find ways to get Sumi ink to spread into paper with fine smokey filaments. Spreading a thin layer of water on mixed media paper with a slight coating (sizing) to resist absorption seems to work. Here are a few: